Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Estrogen Warrior: On Fighting Fibroids

I've posted in a private discussion forum, on Craig's List, about my experience with fibroid tumors and the surgery I underwent in 2005 to remove them. The responses I received tell me I need to post this information in a place more readily accessible, so it won't get buried after a few weeks.

I worked very hard at the time to research Fibroids, their physical and emotional symptoms, and various treatment options. If what I learned can help other women, then this space will be well-spent:

Any kind of change in your cycle as noticeable as follows calls for a gyno visit:

How old are you? Any spotting between periods?

When I had fibroids, particularly one that broke through my uterine wall, my periods were heavier and lasted 10 days, with spotting in between.

I experienced RAGE and feelings of clinical depression. When I got my period, the hormone spikes would KNOCK ME ON MY ASS. At times I got so spazzed out and hyper-stimulated, speedy-feeling, I felt like I would have a heart attack. I was lashing out at people twice my size, but I did not care.

Like that one day when this big oaf of a guy insisted on pushing his way into my subway car before I could get out: I'm sure he has no idea what a miracle it was that I did not stab him through the heart with my umbrella.

I asked my general practitioner and my surgeon about hormones and their effect on my emotions and sense of well-being. They pretty much threw up their hands...but not first without offering to put me on The Pill. When in doubt, write a script. No one could explain to me why the hormones were affecting me or even how the hormones worked. The literature said that hormonal tests were not reliable because hormones can fluctuate so much during the course of a woman's menstrual cycle.

Thanks for nothing, assholes!

Well, almost nothing. Once I got SURGERY -- not therapy, not anti-depressants, not prescription hormones, just straight up surgery to remove the offending fibroid -- my hormones went back to normal and the insane mood rushes and RAGE disappeared.

Poof! Happy again.

It blew my mind to see how a treatment that was purely physical (surgery) could have such a dramatic effect on my emotional state.

Now, I'm 44, back to totally normal 5-day cycles, and happy as a lark. Go figure.

Fibroid tumors are very common in women aged 30-55. If you have some combination of the symptoms described above or notice any change in your normal menstrual cycle, get it checked, poopsie.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/forums/?ID=88017269

4 comments:

Vin Diesel's Biggest Fan said...

I have two comments actually, would you mind if I borrowed part of your letter on "Chai's Story" and THANK you sooo much for sharing your story of fibroids! I'm 26 with many of the same symptoms and my doctor has tried 3 times to tell me to just use birth control, or what if we try anti-depressants, I'm like NO! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! ;) Great information!

Schnitzie said...

Hi Jen,

Sorry I am late in replying, but yes, feel free to borrow from my letter about Chai. That situation was simply horrible, and the response of the company was too slow and too lame.

Thank goodness for internet. It made it possible for so many people to voice their anger and pressure the company to do the right thing.

I am very glad my posts were able to help you. I hope you have found relief for your symptoms through natural, healthy means (good diet and exercise).

I'm not saying that medical intervention through pharmaceuticals (BC pills, anti-depressants, etc.) is always wrong, but safer, more natural means of restoring balance ought be tried FIRST, before we turn our bodies into walking chemistry experiments.

Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG, Schnitzie---! It was my post that you responded to on CL...I had forgotten just when that happened, was trying idly to remember just the other day, then saw a link to your blog in that forum today. Thanks again so much for the info you posted in that thread. It has turned out to be "nothing", btw, but I'm certain that you putting the info out into the universe has helped many. You're a peach....or maybe a honey crisp apple. :-D

Schnitzie said...

Glad I could help! Many honeycrisps on you!