Thursday, June 11, 2009

No, Rabbi Pomerantz. You are wrong.

In a column published today on Newsmax.com, Rabbi Dr. Morton H. Pomerantz employs stunningly tortured logic to hold President Obama responsibile for Wednesday's terrorist shooting by white supremacist James W. von Brunn, at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington.

As a Reform Jew and a Zionist, I find Rabbi Pomerantz's remarks utterly mortifying. I cannot believe this guy is a chaplin for the State of New York. He says:

Just last week, Obama told his worldwide audience more than 100 million people that the killing of six million Jews during the Holocaust was the equivalent of Israel's actions in dealing with the Palestinians.

Although the rabbi speaks here as if he is quoting Obama directly, that is not what the President said. Rather, the President simply iterated two truths that are not in conflict -- that the Holocaust was an atrocity against humanity and that Israel has a part to play in improving the plight of the Palestinians within and adjacent to its borders.

President Obama called on the Palestinians to abandon violence...and for the Israelis to abandon the continued expansion of the settlements on the West Bank. He held BOTH sides accountable for the part they MUST play in making a lasting peace in the region in the future. He did NOT state that the plight of the Palestinians was *equivalent* to that of the 6 million Jews murdered by the Nazis. To put such words into President Obama's mouth stops just short of libel.

What I will say as a New Yorker and a Reform Jew is this: Because of our persecution in the Holocaust, Jews here and in Israel MUST stand against persecution of people based on heritage, ethnicity or national identity, no matter how relatively mild that persecution may be. NEVER AGAIN means we MUST stand for equal rights for ALL human beings, regardless of race, color, creed, nationality, etc. To stand for Israel's security is not in conflict with these goals because security measures can and MUST be aimed against those whose behavior-- not identity -- presents a threat.

American and Israeli Jews can and must oppose the violence of Hamas while vigorously defending the rights of the Palestinian people to a country and the blessings of peace, security and prosperity. That is my position. My grandmother violated the United States Neutrality Act to ship arms to Israel during the wars in 1967 and 1973. I was raised to support Israel as a Jewish homeland, and I do fiercely stand for Israel and against antisemitism. I also stand for the equal right of the Palestinian people to their own homeland, side-by-side with Israel.

Obama did indeed condemn the violence perpetuated by Hamas. He is not letting the Palestinian people off the hook.

To state that President Obama's views "help create a danger as great as that posed by the Nazis to the Jewish people," is histrionic crazy talk, so over the top it is beyond credibility.

I see this as a common flaw among many of my fellow Jews and fellow Zionists, the false belief that to hold ourselves and our beloved Israel accountable for the part we have played in exacerbating the suffering of our Palestinian brothers and sisters is to sew the seeds of our own destruction. This is the fundamental misconception that has kept and continues to keep Palestinians and Israelis mired in perpetual conflict.

We need a paradigm shift, or we will NEVER have peace.

I am a Reform Jew. I love God. I love Israel. I love my Palestinian neighbors out here in Brooklyn, and I love my Palestinian brothers and sisters in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank. Rabbi Pomerantz does NOT speak for me. And I know I am not alone in feeling this way as a Jew.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

He did not blame Obama, as he explicitly states at the beginning of the article. Read it again...in English.

Madeleine said...

I am glad somebody is speaking up.I agree with you, his comment is what leads to war and divisiveness.
Does he know there is no nation on earth free of a bloody past against humanity?
I believe in God, raised as a christian and have faith in to the law of love that began with Jesus as he spoke of it. We are saved by grace not by what we do to ingratiate our self to God.
The rabbi should read the first and second commandment.
Obama is there because God wanted him there and needs our help to succeed.

qqqq said...

I came across your site while doing a Google search for Rabbi Pomerantz. It's not my goal to troll your blog. With that said, the radical left wing of the democrat party hates Jews and Hates Israel. It is that simple. Step out of your comfort zone and remind yourself that Jews are less than 0.25 PERCENT of the world population but is the focus of hate for far too many, including it seems, those who should know better.

Obama is the personification of the Jew hating aspect of the AmerICAN left (typo not intended but I decided to keep it).

American and European leftists are the enemies of civilization, Israel and individual liberty.
I'm Jewish, my Mothers side came to the US from Russia before WW1.

Don't believe me? Have you been to an anti 'war' rally in the last 8 years? They reek of Jew hate and anti-Israel lies.

Israel is the ONLY pearl in the middle east today. Arab Israeli's enjoy more freedom than ANY other Arabs.

Please reconsider your POV. Prior to WW2 many smart Jews chose the wrong side and stayed in Europe. How could they have missed the obvious signs? I don't know. With respect.....

qqqq said...

You said:
We need a paradigm shift, or we will NEVER have peace.

------
You are so correct. Perhaps Gaza will show us who/what needs a dose of reality.

No Jew who has seen the reality of Gaza, since Sharon created that state, should be confused about up and down. I'm sorry I waste your time.

Schnitzie said...

Dear Anonymous:

Pomerantz said: "And if [Obama's] views are not vigorously opposed they will help create a danger as great as that posed by the Nazis to the Jewish people."

Pomerantz used hyperbole -- stating that Obama did not personally tell James W. von Brunn to shoot people at the Holocaust museum -- something so patently obvious, we say, "of course not!"

But Pomerantz' point was that Obama's speech and perspective is even more dangerous. That it will bring on another Holocaust against the Jewish people.

Sorry, that is still crazy talk. I published your comment because it was relatively civil. Thank you for reading and sharing.

Schnitzie said...

Madeleine,

Thank you for your post. I disagree that President Obama was elected because God wanted him in the Oval Office. He was elected because he won the support of an strong majority of voting Americans. His election was no more ordained by God than Bush's was, and I believe it is dangerous to imply that God directly brings about such results any more than God wanted the Yankees to destroy the Mets today, 15-0. As Jesus said, "Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and give to God what belongs to God."

Schnitzie said...

qqqq -- Thank you for your comments.

Believe me, if there is one thing that I go ballistic over, it is antisemitism. I oppose it, and I oppose it loudly and vigorously.

Antisemitism on the left is a separate issue from what I am addressing here. President Obama's purpose was to create an opening, to get a peaceful dialogue started. The only way to do this is to seek out commonalities among conflicting parties.

If we continue to take turns listing all the reasons why the other side is despicable, we will never make any progress towards peace.